When spring returns and the sun shines, we all want to get out and enjoy ourselves in the parks and green spaces of our city. But when we are ready to leave what happens to our waste?
Waste in Cardiff’s Parks
In the spring and summer months Cardiff Council provide extra bins and expand our team of cleansing staff, to keep Cardiff’s parks looking their best. This is part of our commitment to keep Cardiff’s green spaces clean and healthy for both our residents and the environment.
How Can Residents Help?
The assistance Cardiff’s residents provide in maintaining our green spaces is greatly valued and we are sure you are wondering how you can help?
One way is to help us prevent overflowing bins, if you have waste and the bin is full, please wait till you find another one or even better you can take it home to dispose of.
Litter from over flowing bins that is blown into the environment can be harmful to both wildlife and the public. Additionally by taking your waste home you are giving it the opportunity to be recycled or if it is not recyclable to be disposed of safely.
How to Plan a Wasteless Picnic
Another way we as residents of Cardiff can help is to plan to have Wasteless Picnics. Here are some simple, handy tips you can try:
- Use re-usable water bottles, coffee cups cutlery and containers.
- There are re-usable boxes and beeswax/soy wax wraps you can buy to put your shop bought or homemade food in. However, there are also some great alternatives you will likely have at home including, boxes you already own, cleaned out jam jars for dips or snacks, and perhaps even containers from a takeaway you ordered.
- Making your food at home in advance is a great way to reduce waste as it will likely reduce the amount of single use packaging your use and can save you money too!
- Food waste is another issue to be considered. By planning how many portions you will need ahead of time you can avoid wasting food. You could also take some extra containers with you in case you need to bring any leftovers home.
- Take a bin bag with you to collect your waste, this could be an actual bin bag or even any single use carrier bags you have in your house to give them an extra lease of life.
- Get involved with the Caru Cymru campaign to promote the reduction of waste creation in our green spaces. You can also share your top tips with your friends and families about how they too can plan their own wasteless picnics.