Become a Litter Champion
Whilst we are unable to sign anyone up as a champion at the moment, there are ways you can still get involved.
– If you have your own litter picking equipment please get in touch and we can provide you with appropriate bags and make sure you know how to keep yourself safe.
– If you don’t have equipment one of the local groups might be able to lend you some: for details on your local groups click here and scroll down.
If you are going out please make sure that you are following the safety guidance below and let us know what you are up to – we love a photo! You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @lornalwyl
Litter Picking – Safe-Working Practices
You are responsible for your own safety when out and about. Please read our safety instructions and follow them whilst on your litter pick. Be sensible and avoid taking risks.
- Only litter pick outside your home if it is part of you ‘daily exercise’.
- Please don’t go out if you feel unwell or are otherwise showing cold or flu like symptoms, have a high temperature or a new and persistent cough.
- Never pick up litter with your hands, always use a litter picker.
- Please use your own personal gloves to undertake picks and wear them during your pick at all times. Wash your hand thoroughly for 20 seconds using soap and hot water before and after your pick.
- Please wear sensible and appropriate clothing, covered shoes and clothing suitable for Cardiff’s changeable weather. If it is sunny, please wear sleeves, a hat, sunscreen and remember to stay hydrated. If you have a high-visibility vest we recommend you wear it.
- Have a mobile phone charged and handy in case of emergencies.
- Please do not litter pick areas close to busy or high-speed roads (there is still traffic about), on or near railway tracks, or near or in water. Please also be mindful of the general landscape.
- Only litter pick in areas that are well lit and where visibility is good. Please do not litter pick at dusk or after dark.
- Mind your step if litter picking in areas of vegetation. The ground can be uneven and vegetation can cover hidden hazards.
- Stay at least 2 metres (about 3 steps) away from other people who do not live in your household.
Our crews will only collect bags that have been provided for volunteers and will NOT collect black bags. Please get in touch with us if you would like some.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com or call 02920 717564.